Full, fluttery lashes can add oomph to your look and put an extra step in your stride. Falsies make your eyes look bigger, bolder, and simply fabulous. That’s why we all want a set, right?
Eyelash extensions are just one of many options available for you to achieve this trendy look. If you don’t know much about lash extensions, we’ll give you all the deets on what you need to know.
So, What Are Eyelash Extensions?
Drumroll, please… eyelash extensions are a procedure that can make your eyes look fantastic, sultry, or flirty. They can take a simple look and make it wow in a matter of hours. Yes, we said hours. The eyelash extension application process can sometimes take hours to complete. So, yeah, there are pros and cons. Let’s weigh in on them.
Extensions are ultra-fine individual lashes made of synthetic or mink fibers glued individually to your natural lash.
This lash type is customizable, allowing you to choose your new beauties’ length, density, and shape.
How Long Can You Wear Lash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions are the longest-lasting false lash type available. If taken care of, they can last for up to six weeks of wear.
Between the time the lashes are applied and the six-week mark, your natural lashes will go through the natural shedding process. During this time, your natural lashes fall out as the new lashes grow in. This lash shedding also causes the extensions to shed.
Lash refills are recommended every two to three weeks to fill in these places.
Who Can Apply Eyelash Extensions?
A professional licensed cosmetologist, esthetician, or eyelash extension specialist must apply these lashes in a salon or other approved facility.
The professional must follow many sanitation, handling, and other regulations to provide a proper lash service to the client. It is crucial to have a professional give the lash extension service for this reason. Sanitation is vital in preventing bacteria from spreading into the eyes and causing eye infections.
The glue used during the application process has many chemicals that can be harmful if not properly handled. These chemicals are another reason why having a professional apply your lash extensions is essential.
Are Lash Extensions Safe?
The short answer, yes, if they’re done correctly. Again, this is why it is crucial to have a licensed cosmetologist, esthetician, or skilled lash technician apply the lashes. Having someone skilled and who has product knowledge and experience will hands down pay off for you in the end.
Choose someone who has been in the lash field for a while. Do your research and take time to find someone you like and trust so that you have a safe experience.
On the other side, lash extensions require the use of lash glue. The lash glue used for the application is professional-grade glue; however, there are always risks if it’s not handled correctly. In this case, the dangers of lash extensions would far outweigh the benefits.
How Long Does the Lash Extension Process Take?
A good lash technician will take their time, so the process could take between one and three hours. The length of time will depend on which lash volume you choose. Take that time spent at the salon to relax and unwind.
How Much Do Lash Extensions Cost
Lash extensions come at a much higher cost than regular strip lashes and magnetic lashes. The price will vary depending on how much expertise the lash tech has, their salon location, the products they use, and the lash type you choose.
The higher the volume and density of the lashes, the more time the lash tech will need to spend on applying them. More time equals more money.
Are Mink Lash Extensions Cruelty-Free?
Many lashes labeled as ‘mink’ are synthetic fibers that mimic the silky shine of mink hair. Some salons offer lash extensions with ‘authentic mink hair,’ but it is becoming increasingly rare. Synthetic mink is so close to the look and feel of the real thing it won’t even be detected as fake.
So, while actual mink extensions won’t be cruelty-free, the synthetic ones likely are.
What Are the Benefits of Getting Lash Extensions
There are a few big benefits of getting eyelash extensions. Here are just a few:
- Say goodbye to mascara: You’ll never have to take the time out of your morning routine to apply mascara again as long as you have extensions. That’s because, with extensions, it’ll already look like you have mascara on.
- Skip the curler: Eyelash curling is a thing of the past with eyelash extensions. In fact, curling your lash extensions might actually break them off.
- Longer wear time: Lash extensions can be applied and worn for up to four to six weeks if you take care of them. That’s a long time not to have to worry about your lashes.
Along with benefits comes the downsides. Let’s talk about some cons of eyelash extensions.
What Are the Downsides of Lash Extensions
Eyelash extensions are great and all, but there are definitely some cons that should be discussed.
- Chemicals: Eyelash glue is often filled with chemicals. Although these chemicals are safe to use around the eye area if done correctly, there is still a risk of infection if your lash tech is unfamiliar with the product they are using.
- Cost: The cost of lash extensions is much higher than strip lashes and magnetic lashes. There is also a maintenance cost when you get refills.
- Maintenance: You cannot get lash extensions wet for the first 24 hours after having them applied. The glue takes up to 24 hours to completely cure, so getting them wet could lessen the total lash wear time. Oil-based makeup and makeup removers are prohibited from use because oils will break down the glue. Removal of your lash extensions should be done by the lash professional.
Types of Lash Extension Volumes
You may already know whether you want natural-looking lashes or full-on glam. If not, the lash professional will help you decide which is best for you based on your eye shape. There are three basic types of lash extensions.
- Classic: Classic lash extensions are the most natural-looking. They offer a classic look applied in a 1:1 ratio. That means one synthetic lash is applied to every one of your natural lashes.
- Volume: Volume lashes offer fullness and drama. The application is a fan technique where the lash ratio can be 1:3 or 1:5. That means three or five synthetic lashes are added per one of your natural lashes for maximum volume.
- Hybrid: Hybrid lashes are a combination of both classic and volume lashes placed strategically to shape the eyes. The hybrid lash offers a wispy dramatic look. Kim Kardashian and other celebrities have made these lashes popular.
What Type of Lashes Are the Best?
The choice is yours. There are many ways to achieve a fuller set of lashes than old-fashioned lengthening mascara (although we love our mascara!).
Glue-on lashes and magnetic lashes are two other options.
Strip Lashes With Glue
Strip lashes with glue are usually made of cheap synthetic fibers. They are available in many lengths and volumes. These lashes require glue that contains chemicals that can be dangerous if the glue isn’t handled correctly. You also risk a chance of losing some of your natural lashes when you remove the lash strip.
Glamnetic magnetic lashes are applied using a safe iron oxide magnetic liner. Iron oxides rarely cause allergies, but you should perform a patch test if you have any concerns.
You can wear Glamnetic magnetic lashes up to 60 times if you keep them clean and stored correctly. They are also waterproof, wind-proof, and sweat-proof. These lashes are available in mink and vegan materials in many lengths and volumes.
The magnetic liner required for Glamnetic magnetic lashes comes in a variety of colors for an on-trend look.
To Wrap it Up
Eyelash extensions are beautiful accessories to your eyes. Choosing a skilled professional is vital in receiving a high-quality and safe lash service. You should really sit down and think through the pros and cons of lash extensions before deciding to commit, because they’re definitely a commitment.
False eyelashes aren’t hard to come by when you decide that you want them. Magnetic lashes are the safest and most cost-effective choice for falsies. Glamnetic magnetic lashes are available in many lengths and volume types with trendy designs.
The choice is yours, and we hope you choose Glamnetic.
Eyelash Extensions Guide: the Cost, How Long They Last, Before and After Photos | Harper's Bazaar
Is Magnetic Eyeliner Safe to Use on Your Eyes and Face? | Health Line
What's the difference Between Classic, Volume & Hybrid Eyelash Extensions? | School of Glamology